PARIS โ€” The Chinese-Brazilian CBERS-3 Earth observation satellite was destroyed Dec. 9 following a failure of a Chinese Long March 4B rocket launched from Chinaโ€™s Taiyuan Satellite Launch Center, the Brazilian Space Agency (AEB) announced.

AEB said the CBERS-3 satellite, built mainly in Brazil, appeared to have been in good health as the rocket launched, but that it likely fell to Earth when the rocket failed.

โ€œPreliminary indications are that the satellite has returnedโ€ to Earth, AEB said. โ€œThere was a malfunction of the launch vehicle.โ€

AEB said that China and Brazil nonetheless are determined to pursue the CBERS program, which began in 1999 with the launch of CBERS-1. CBERS-2 was launched in 2003, and CBERS-2B followed in 2007. Work on a CBERS-4 satellite would start immediately, AEB said.

The Long March 4B rocket debuted in 2009. It has launched 19 times since then, with the Dec. 9 launch its 20th.

Peter B. de Selding was the Paris bureau chief for SpaceNews.